Recently i have set-up this blog using Hugo. I was able to do it over a weekend. It was a fun & rewarding experience. If you are interested in setting up a static blog/website all you have to do is follow these 6 simple steps
1) Select your theme
Hugo has a wide variety of themes to select from. Pick your favorite here
2) Setting it up locally
Follow the quick start guide here
3) Customise your theme
- Go to your theme page [https://themes.gohugo.io/YOUR_THEME_NAME/]
- Click on Homepage button, that will take you to github page of the link
- Github repo should have all the necessary documentation for enabling/disabling various options and customizing the theme according to your need.
4) Hosting and deployment
- Once everything is working locally, its time to deploy.
- There are various options for deploying your website, I choose to do so via github using github user pages
- Github allows free hosting of static pages and provides custom domain for the same (username.github.io)
- Follow this link for details of set-up with github user pages
- Congrats!, you now have your website up and running at (username.github.io)
5) Using a personal domain
6) Setting up personal domain with github pages
Well that's it. You now have your personal blog/website up and running with the domain name of your choice.
If you face any problems or have any doubts/suggestions
feel free to share your feedback in the comments below.